Sunday 14 June 2009

Next house on the left

Because I generally like films about rape and murder – and because, as we all know, remakes are always just great – I decided to rush out and give the new Last House on the Left a try on its UK opening day. So I sat there in the dark with about eight strangers – some of whom gasped at the graphic stabbings, sexual assaults and miscellaneous mutilations – and thought: Why am I doing this? Am I sick? But you know what? This film is just great. And I’m not sick, I assure you... Although I guess I would say that.

I’m a fan of Wes Craven’s original. What horror fan isn’t? It’s not perfect (I’m sure you’ll have your own reasons – possibly several – as to why) and Craven would come on leaps and bounds as a filmmaker throughout the rest of the 70s, but it works by succeeding at everything it’s trying to do and, crucially, horrifying the hell out of you three decades on.

The new Last House actually smoothes out a lot of these imperfections both plot-wise and stylistically. Which isn’t to say it’s a superior film; I think the original holds its own just because it got there first. But it certainly doesn’t insult the original, unlike many a recent remake, and it stands alone in a way the Friday the 13th and Halloween remakes don’t.

Quality films about rape and murder are usually foreign, and sometimes quite boring and pretentious. The Last House on the Left is certainly quality – it’s got a lush, orchestral score, beautiful cinematography and a capable cast – and it drags you in on the weight of your own gloomy expectations that its initial idyll can’t last. Of course bad things are going to happen to its teenage protagonists, although I can’t say whether or not you’ll find them more disturbing that those in the original (I found them less so – just slightly – thanks to the high production values and reduced sense of humiliation).

Pretentious it definitely isn’t, however. While it’s sensible enough to make you believe it, it’s also plenty pulpy when you just want that revenge-kick. It doesn’t pussy-foot, but it’s not tactless either. By dishing out dollops of nasty mayhem in its final third it does what Funny Games (the original and remake) denies – that is, allows you to wallow in the horror. After all, it’s a horror movie. It’s supposed to be chock-full of horrible, and it’s supposed to be a cathartic experience... In fact, now that I’ve seen the new Last House, I think I’ll be able to get through the next three weeks without kicking a single kitten.

It’s that good.

Rating: 4/5

6 comments:

The Igloo Keeper said...

Damn, that was going to be my first sentence...

Bill Courtney said...

I will give this a go when I have the chance. I really never cared for the first film at all. Not because of the content but because of the film making itself and I am a fan of low budget films. In fact the story idea has been done over so many times one could argue the film has already been remade with different titles. There was a film put out a couple years ago called Chaos with Kevin Gage that is certainly a LHOTL clone. I am not adverse to remakes, as so many seem to be anymore, and enjoyed the Friday the 13th remake from earlier in the year. Look forward to giving this a shot. Thanks.

Amanda By Night said...

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I didn't care for it, and although bits where slick (and there was decent acting, although I found most of the females to be annoying), it's more of a thriller than an outright horror film. And it kind of wimps out in a lot of ways.

I'm totally in the minority on this one. Most reviews have been favorable. I dunno. I just thought, "Oh." And that was it.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I wanted to write and tell you about a new website for filmmakers, musicians, artists, and fashion designers: www.PutItOn.com. I've been using the site as an artist and have my work there, and am trying to support. Basically, the site allows artists from all over the world to connect, display their portfolios, and sell their work (with no commission taken). The site gives artists a free gigabyte of space to showcase their portfolios, allows you to stream audio and video works, lets you create live personal broadcasts, and translates any writing into ten different languages. If you could take the time to visit the site, and if you like it too, let your readers know about it, and even sign up yourself or link to it on your site it would be greatly appreciated! We are trying to make a go of helping out artists everywhere and are trying to get the word out, so please help us out if you like the site after checking it out! 

Thank you!

Corey said...

i heard the cast of the original film talk recently, and they tore into the remake even worse than i expected. i'm glad to hear that you liked it, as i thought it looked great from the trailers and now can't wait for the dvd release...

Keith said...

Excellent review! I'll definitely check it out.