Friday 3 October 2008

Day 3: Killer Klowns from Outer Space

It’s time now for Sham Shocktober to move away from the classics and look instead at a Klassic! It was the late eighties... Everything I knew I learned from House, Troll and Critters, so I’ve really no idea how I managed to miss out on Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Must’ve been home watching MacGyver when it came into the video shop or something. Anyway, it’s recently been released on DVD in the UK by Optimum Home Entertainment, apparently because they noticed it’s this country’s most illegally downloaded title, and I was a little surprised to see it now has a 12 certificate. I mean, I’m sure it’s a pretty goofy film, but all I really know about it (other than the fact it apparently concerns some “klowns” who are “killers” and come from “outer space”) is what I heard in the school yard – most of which came from a friend who loved to tell me in gory detail about the victims who become “human hand puppets” whenever we got onto the subject of scary movies. Human hand puppets? In a 12-rated movie? What’s the world coming to? It sounds like something out of Brian Yuzna’s Society. Of course, I may be wrong...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've seen Society, but you haven't seen Killer Klowns from Outer Space?

What the - ?

See it! It's effin' brilliant AND stars Grant Cramer who was in New Year's Evil!

Please don't let that deter you! He was also in Hardbodies!

Anonymous said...

This is one of those movies that I've seen probably a dozen times. It's probably not worth that many viewings, but I can't help myself!

Ross Horsley said...

Amanda - It's not SO strange that I haven't seen this. Did you know, for instance, that a recent poll revealed that more AFI members had seen Citizen Kane than Killer Klowns? Madness!

Jenn - You had me at "I can't help myself!". I definitely need to see this movie.

Anonymous said...

Who are these AFI and Citizen Kane characters you speak of?