Friday 24 October 2008

Day 24: The House of Seven Corpses

Sometimes less is more. Rob Zombie’s House of 1,000 Corpses boasts 1K’s worth of cadavers but I can’t say I remember much about the movie. The House of Seven Corpses, on the other hand, makes a rather less spectacular claim, but I’m willing to bet that every one of those dead bodies makes a memorable appearance.

As usual, I don’t know too much about Ho7C’s, but I do know it’s about a film crew making a movie in a spooky mansion with a gruesome past. It stars John Carradine (but, then again, what doesn’t?) and also features Charles Macaulay, who appeared in one of my previous Sham Shocktober entries, Blacula, as Dracula... Confused yet?

Yes, it does all sound a little haphazard, mixing in murders, witchcraft, a haunted house and lots of film-within-a-film moments, but I’d always rather have too much going on in a movie as opposed to too little. Plus, The House of Seven Corpses has an irresistible bit of blurb on its DVD case that goes: “Now the crew’s biggest problem isn’t running out of film... IT’S RUNNING FOR THEIR LIVES!”

Yessiree, it’s written in a goofy red horror font and everything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've ALWAYS wanted to see this! Give it a go and let me know.

Dude, that so rhymes!

Ross Horsley said...

Sure, I'll order it in... and give it a spin!

Wow! Are we about to turn into dancing chainsaws for the big final number or WHAT?!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited. I can't believe it's been 24 days since Sham Shocktober started! Look at me, I'm already reminiscing (sp?)!

And think about it, you've been writing EVERY DAY! That's a difficult thing... I worship your discipline.