Sunday 19 October 2008

Day 19: Funeral Home

Authentic 80s slasher movies I haven’t seen are few and far between, so that’s why Funeral Home is a definite addition to the Sham Shocktober calendar. From the looks of things, it’s a little more complex than the straight slasher formula of “Teens + Remote Location + Killer” (thus moving it more towards the horror-thriller end of the slasher spectrum) but let’s not split hairs. I simply can’t afford to get picky where unseen retro-slashers are concerned, or I’ll have nothing left to look forward to at all.

Lesleh Donaldson plays Heather, a young woman who, according to the blurb, “helps her grandmother convert the town funeral home into a bed-and-breakfast inn”... Isn’t that just lovely? They could reopen as Dead & Breakfast or perhaps the Mortuary Motel. My only worry is that the town will be left without a funeral home, but hopefully somewhere there’s a young woman helping her grandmother convert an old hotel into one... because the last thing you need when there’s a killer on the loose is nowhere to put the bodies (just ask Michael Myers).

It all sounds like a good backdrop for a horror film, anyhow, but it’ll have to be pretty amazing to replace Mortuary Academy as my favourite funeral home-themed movie of all time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This movie was directed by William Fruet, who directed one of my all time favorite films of all time called Killer Party. I think Funeral Home is good, but not terrific. Thing about William, he liked people with personality and his films were filled with good acting (check out Bedroom Window and Killer Party for good examples of that), so you can rely on his movies being fun. That William. I kind of love him.

Ross Horsley said...

I seriously need to see Killer Party. Fruet seems to have done some impressive TV work too, including 10 eps of Friday the 13th: The Series!

Anonymous said...

You MUST see Killer Party... like tonight... Now GO! :)

Anonymous said...

Whoops! It's Bedroom EYES. A MUCH different film (you will see it my erotic thriller column one day!).

Anonymous said...

I don't know that someone named "Ross Horsely" has any right to call my cousin Lesleh "horribly named"!

Ross Horsley said...

Touché! I apologize. If the film's anything like as good as it looks, I may end up loving the name Lesleh, after all. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

And I apologize for spelling "Horsley" wrong in my response! Oops. It's a fun little film to watch for sure, but of Lesleh's scream work I actually prefer "Curtains"

Ross Horsley said...

Having just read her filmography at the IMDb, I have new respect for Lesleh. With this, Curtains AND Happy Birthday to Me, she's a bit of a neglected slasher icon, isn't she!